Blue Disk References
Note: These are the four direct references by Djwhal Khul to the "blue disk" in the Alice A. Bailey writings, all in the context of a meditation visualization exercise pertinent to contacting the master in the subjective realms. Emphasis is added.
I. Discipleship in the New Age, Vol. I, p. 302–303
Section Two - Personal Instructions to Disciples
For your meditation work I suggest the following procedure:
1. First of all, do the breathing exercise, outlined above.
2. Then, focussing the consciousness as high in the head as possible, sound the Sacred Word.
3. Then do the following brief and intensive visualisation exercise:
a. Imagine a path of golden light, leading from where you stand to a vast two-leaved door.
b. Then see, rolling along this path a disk or wheel of rose, which you send forth and which eventually disappears through the door.
c. Then send along the same track a disk of vivid green, and follow it by a disk of golden yellow, both of which disappear the same way.
d. Then send a disk or wheel of a radiant, electric blue, which rolls along the golden Path but which does not enter through the door but remains there, hiding the door from sight.
e. Picture then yourself as standing before the electric blue disk, having traversed the golden path and there meditating upon the following words:
4. You can then carry forward your own meditation, though refraining from any use of mantrams and from visualisation exercises other than those indicated above by me.
5. Sound the Sacred Word again, breathing it out upon the world from the highest point in your consciousness that seems to you possible.
Attempt this meditation once a day for the next few months as it will form the basis of the meditation which I can later give you.
II. Discipleship in the New Age, Vol. II, p. 15–17
Section One - Talks to Disciples
I am going to take the time and spare the needed energy to get in touch with the group during the coming full moons, prior to that of May. I ask you, at no matter what hour the full moon each month may fall, to endeavour to keep half an hour free so that you can attempt to enter into my consciousness. I realise that it may not always be possible for you in your busy Western lives to keep the exact minute free, but you can attempt to find some time, as near to the full moon period as is reasonably possible in your own particular circumstances. This, my brother, is to be a group effort, and not an individual one, and it is as a group that I shall seek to contact you. Therefore it is necessary for you to have this in your mind as you prepare for that moment. You must link up first with all the group members, pouring yourself out in love to each of them, and to all collectively, and associating yourself with them as a part with the whole. Then in united effort attempt the following procedure:
1. Having linked up with all your group brothers, and having raised your consciousness as high as you possibly can, endeavour then to hold steady, holding the mind unwaveringly "in the light," and letting the brain consciousness and its registration drop below the level of consciousness.
2. Then initiate a new effort. Realise that, on my side, I also stand steady, pouring out upon you my love and strength and endeavouring to lift you up into a higher state of consciousness.
3. Visualise ahead of you (if I may use so inadequate a word) a disk or sphere of indigo blue, a deep electric blue. In the centre of that disk imagine that I, your Tibetan brother, am standing. My appearance and personality matter not.
4. When you have visualised me thus standing waiting, then endeavour to seestretching between yourself, the group and me — a band of golden light and know this to be the symbol of the Path which we are all treading. See this path gradually shortening, thus bringing us closer together, slowly and steadily, until you enter into the heart of the blue disk.
Whilst doing this, hold the mind positive and attentive, using simultaneously the faculties of imagination and of visualisation. This triple activity will test and tax your powers but will be good training in active esoteric work. Regard this always as a united group effort and remember that in doing it you aid each other, and may facilitate the work to be done at the time of the Wesak moon. I would like to add that the results of this work will not become apparent to you until the full moon of May, and even then you will only (through the synthesis of the two years' work) begin to comprehend the fusing and blending and awakening that your own souls are bringing about.
3. This leads to a Technique of Approach, based upon the realisation of the above objectives, to an effort to see me (as I symbolise for you the spiritual vision), and to the establishing of a pathway of Approach, symbolised in the ritual I gave you as a golden band of light. This you were to visualise as extending between yourselves, as a group, to your Tibetan brother. This pathway of Approach is the Path which it is planned should constitute a more familiar symbol than has hitherto been the case in the religious life of the race.
4. This pathway of light leads to the heart of a dark blue disk at the very centre of which you were told I could be contacted. Those of you who are in any way adept at meditation work know well that the light in the head — when seen and recognised — passes usually through three stages of intensification:
a. It is, first of all, a diffused light, surrounding the head, discovered later within the head and producing an inner radiance, which is the rudimentary halo.
b. This diffused light then consolidates and becomes an inner radiant sun.
c. Finally, at the centre of that sun, a point of dark blue, or a small indigo disk, appears. This is, in reality, the exit in the head through which the soul passes out of the world of phenomenal existence, and it is the symbol of the path or the door into the kingdom of God. This is the symbolical interpretation of the phenomena.
As the group approaches nearer and nearer to reality, the pathway or the band of light shortens (symbolically) and in time, when you are expert in this work and when your spiritual nature is truly intensified, you will enter almost immediately into, or through, the disk of blue and become aware of the higher consciousness, or divinity.
IV. Discipleship in the New Age, Vol. II, p. 56–58
Section One - Talks to Disciples
3. The time to be given, at this stage of the training, to the Full Moon Approach was shortened, but tremendously intensified, and the objective was to produce a far more dynamic activity. A state of tension had to be achieved, which would eventually release dynamic energy from — if possible — levels higher than that of the soul. Hence the need for group integration and work. This period was divided as follows:
a. There were two days of intensive preparation. This involved the achieving of a right attitude of a dual kind: The group member fused his outer activity and his inner orientation into one blended concentrated spiritual activity. He proceeded with his usual avocations, but at no timewhilst so occupiedwas he to lose sight of the inner orientation and specific recollection. All the time he was outwardly busy, he was simultaneously occupied with a constant realisation of a retreat inward, a heightening of his vibration, and a raising of his consciousness.
b. On the day of the full moon, you were asked to go through a symbolic performance in the realm of the creative imagination, and through the medium of its agent, visualisation. This performance involved the following steps:
1. The recognition that in the blue disk, at the end of the golden pathway, was an ivory door which was slowly opening into a room with three windows.
2. The recognition that the group, as a unit, was advancing into that room and there, united in an act of solemn dedication, stands ready for revelation.
3. The recognition, by the group, of me, your teacher and Tibetan brother, and the saying by all of us together of the Great Invocation. This produces fusion and releases something from "that which lies above to that which lies below," speaking in the words of symbolism.
It will be obvious to you that in this symbolic ritual there is typified, first of all the Path, the goal, the kingdom of God, distinguished by spiritual mind, spiritual love and spiritual will (the three windows, atma-buddhi-manas, or the three aspects of the soul). Secondly, the focussing of the consciousness in that of the soul, followed by a group dedication; and, finally, that humanity (symbolised by the group) and the Hierarchy (symbolised by me) and the subsequent voicing by me of certain Words of Power were all intended to produce the fusion of the objective and subjective worlds, and the consequent emergence of the fifth kingdom in nature. Thus the skeleton structure of the new religious ceremonial can be dimly seen and inadequately sensed.
Questions? Answers? Impressions?